Saturday, June 9

Man, I Feel Like a Woman.


SaturdayBlogDay?? Just kidding. I will still be writing on Thursdays but settling back in to life here in Ventura has been more than consuming and I haven’t quite had a chance to sit back and think. Since last Tuesday when my aunt passed my life has been far from normal and I’ve never craved normal so much. Celicia made it back to California, I am so proud. I think my luck must be turning around, at least according to my boyfriend it is. I drove my 1990 Celica another 1200 miles after just making that drive a month ago and bought my first surfboard for a steal. However up until last night, in the midst of the excitement of moving in with my friend Kylie for the summer, trying to find a better job than nannying, and simply figuring out where the grocery store is closest to my house, I haven’t had a second to process the past month of my life.

In just one month I have gone from a dorm room in Santa Barbara, to home in Seattle and a restaurant job there, a funeral for a close relative, and back to California. The amount that has unfolded since school ended a month ago is huge, and last night I realized just how stressful that was. While it was all piling on one day after another, I did not really feel the stress of being so far from my boyfriend, working 12 hour days at the restaurant, being present for the sudden death of a my aunt, and putting my foot down on leaving while my parents so firmly disapproved. Now that I have unloaded all of my stuff again from Celicia (that’s my cars name, read previous posts;) ), I feel like I have finally settled in again. I feel like I am home. I left so much in boxes at my parents’ house while I slept in my sisters bed with her, and went back to a restaurant that stayed there all the time while I was gone and growing and changing for months at a time. I knew I was in transition so I didn’t settle back in, but a month of transition is harder than I thought it would be on my soul.

In this past month I have cried probably more than I have cried cumulatively in the past three years. I cried when I left Santa Barbara, I cried when I told my parents I was leaving Seattle, I cried a ton when my aunt passed away, and a few little times in between when my heart ached for home and the ocean. For those that know me well, this is incredibly unusual for me. I almost never cry, and usually hate doing it. I have prided myself for years in having less emotion than your average man.

In January I was talking with the girls I lived with at the time, all of whom I miss very much, and I realized I had worked hard at being emotionally unavailable. I should also give some credit to Annabelle who has had so many conversations with me about this. Whether it was to men, my family, or others coming into my life, I held people at arms length. I realized while I sat there that it was a combination of not wanting to look like I didn’t have control, and letting people close is a release of control, and that would require a vulnerability I did not like. In letting anyone close, they have the control to handle that as they please. This, as we all have seen at one point or another, leaves one vulnerable to this other person’s actions and emotions. It is however human nature to want to let people in, we crave the love and acceptance of other people. I had worked hard at not letting people in, and I was sick of it.

My heart felt cold. I worked at keeping people far away and I was ready to let people in. I consciously decided to let people in to my heart, at the risk of being emotionally harmed and possibly looking stupid. I have taken a chance that not many people have to take in their lives; for most it comes a little more naturally to end up vulnerable. Since January not much has changed in the grand scheme of life, I still have the same goals, attend the same school, and drive the same car, except for deciding to let people close and let myself feel for the first time in years.

I am a woman and I will have emotions, squishing them when I do rarely feel them does not mean I am strong but instead it means I am cold. I am scared of the goals I have; what if I am not smart enough, quick enough, or hard-working enough to be a doctor. In this pursuit of a career I have put my family under a new financial burden, run myself to the ground studying and learning to work hard, and somehow in the midst of this paid a strange attention this idea of the woman I want to become. Women are hard-wired to be relatively more emotional and this must be advantageous evolutionarily or it wouldn’t have been carried on all these years.

I will worry for myself and for those around me, I will be nervous about what is to come to an extent, I will be scared, I will love, and I will let others love me. A strong woman is not a woman that does not cry, a strong woman is one that is driven. The women I admire are not the ones that have never had anything to cry about, but instead the ones I admire are the ones that have been shattered and risen to the challenge.

These women I look up to also love like crazy. These strong women love their families and they love what they pursue. One does not look at a strong woman, one that alters the presence of a room when she walks in, and say, “Wow, she’s so strong, she must never cry, ever”. But instead, the hard work she has put in is written all over her face and it is so intimidating.

So man, I feel like a woman, and I’ll take the emotions that come along with that. Life can bring it on, because I haven’t been beaten too bad yet and I don’t plan on it.