Thursday, May 31

Life, Death, Beginnings, Ends and Something in The Middle


Surprise ThursdayBlogDay! As my last post said, I am driving back down to California today. Although today is Thursday, I started writing this post on Tuesday when life got a little crazier than it already was. I started writing with the intent of mulling through my thoughts daily as I process the sudden death of my dad’s 42-year-old sister this morning. Not only am I witnessing the worst heartbreak I have ever seen, watching three generations mourn together, but also rolling with the punches, as this was the week I planned to head back down to California.

(Tuesday May 29) The Weirdest Day Ever
“I should have never bugged her about tattoos, I told her they would wrinkle when she got old. She never got old now. She should have gotten all the tattoos she wanted,” said my mom on the topic of Auntie Dawn’s death. My family has found we share a strange comfort in raw humor on the topic of death. She also said while cleaning, “You know, this is why you want to keep your house clean. You never know when you might die and the whole world comes over. If I die, please vacuum, maybe it will help you process things. You would know your next move in life, vacuum”. I’m expecting these may offend some and humor others. My apologies for the offense and thank my mother if you share a guilty, cynical laugh.

Today was supposed to be my last day of work, and my second to last full day in Washington for the summer. I had a dentist appointment at 8am in which I tried to figure out what the Asian hygienist was saying to me in my half-asleep state and also a chiropractor appointment. From the dentist I headed to the chiropractor for one of my last alignments before Thursday, leaving day. I called my dad as I drove by the school he teaches at, offering to swing by because I was early for my chiropractor appointment. Since he was in a meeting I headed to the chiropractor and happened to get in 15 minutes early for my 9:30 appointment.

“Chels, I’m at Auntie Dawn’s house. She’s not breathing”. The surge of panic with those words is an emotion I have yet to feel at an age that I could understand that it meant dead. My instant thought was along the lines of, no breath=dead. I asked my dad if anyone had called 911, praying that my dad’s panicked voice was not because he found her not breathing, but instead was called by the paramedics about her not breathing. He said the paramedics were in the process of CPR, in fact that was all he said. Contemplating my next words more than ever, especially with his lack of words, I asked if that meant he wanted me to come there. He said no more than a simple yes and the line went dead.

I called into work on my way, bursting into tears sputtering, “I can’t come in today, I think my aunt just died. Actually, I’m not sure. She might be dead, she might not be. But I’m going there, and I can’t come in”. I know my poor coworker understood why I was in such a panic, and told me not to worry and to deal with my family emergency. My next phone call was to my boyfriend, leaving him a panicked message that I’m sure was not fun to get out of class to, and I’m also sure made no sense what so ever. When I parked a block from my aunt’s, there were aid cars, paramedics, fire trucks, fire fighters, and policemen. The air smelled like chaos and the front lawn looked like fear.

I found my dad on the front porch talking with the head of the paramedic team, and watched my strong father burst into tears for only the second time in my life. “She’s not responding to the medication, nothing is working, we have to stop the CPR. I’m sorry for your loss sir, I understand this is hard”. They gave it their all and she’s gone. The phrase time stood still is more than appropriate. All I wished for was a way to somehow ease the pain my sobbing father felt in the seconds that his sister passed. 

I watched my grandma try to grasp the death of her child, her only daughter, I watched my dad try to grasp the death of his sister, and I watched her kids try to grasp the death of their mother.  All of these are the most emotional pain I have ever seen unfold on faces, especially on faces of loved ones. Physical pain is easier to deal with, especially as a woman. To watch this pain in the midst of a crisis tore my heart into pieces. If the pain were physical I could help, however no amount of hugs, back rubs, or tear wiping could even aid this pain in any form. English should have a different word for this kind of pain because it is nothing like physical pain.

Death does bring fresh perspective, and I won’t bore you with life is short and fragile cliché sayings. For now my house is a spinning mess of tears, hypothetical causes of sudden death, and rollercoasters of emotions. I am so thankful I have the chance to be home for this, for my brother and sister, for my dad, and for my mom. If I had to hear this from California, to hear the ache over the phone instead of at the very least being present to hug, this would be so much worse.  

The idea that life ends is so difficult to grasp, so unreal. When I looked at her body, empty, soul-less, it looked like her face, but not her. There is so much more to life than a physical being, so much more to a person than his or her heart beat. I am so thankful for every day of breathing, so thankful for the support I get to witness surround and overwhelm my extended and immediate family.

(Wednesday May 30) Love is All You Need
I thought today I would have the most to write, the most to process. Being the day after the biggest family crisis since the car accident that caused the death of my now late aunt’s husband 7 years ago, I assumed today would be more mellow, and I would be doing the most thinking. Doing the most thinking usually means doing the most writing.

Instead, all of my thinking is on love. The things people do for love are crazy and incredible; love carries such a power over decisions and life, and I wonder about why humanity is so driven by love. The biologist in me thinks there must be some evolutionary benefit for this scramble of hormones that carries the power to lift up, and the power to destroy.  

In the middle of heartbreak beyond belief, so many people have stood up to aid my family members. Meals are being brought to my grandma, who is going to take over care for my cousins, and flowers are being delivered every few hours. It warms my heart to see the emotional support that my dad is receiving from coworkers, friends, and even distant relatives. These people love my dad, and are here for his every need as he grieves for his sister.

Love is all over the place. My home is dripping with the evidences of love as family members come in to begin the difficult process of grieving over a relative, a loved one no one expected to lose any time soon. Neighbors, members of the church my aunt went to, and members of the church my parents attend, have offered to do everything from cooking for the funeral to cleaning my aunt’s house so that my grandma and cousins can start a life there without my aunt present physically. These are such blessings, such expressions of love.

I am leaving for California on Monday now, staying through the weekend to attend the funeral, see my mom off to Haiti for a work trip with the non-profit organization she writes for, and hopefully help ease the confusion I know my dad is feeling. With tomorrow being the day I was supposed to leave, I am still so grateful that I was not already gone for this crisis. I am so excited to get back to the sunshine and my boyfriend, but these are the moments that define a family.  

(Thursday May 31) Thankful Resolve
If I could have left earlier, and not been around for all of this to unfold, my heart would be even more broken than it already is for my family members. To see a glimmer of joy in my grandpa’s eyes when he gets to sit with at least some of his grandkids after so much death around him is beyond worth delaying my trip back to California. As much as I am dying to get back to the sun, dying to see my boyfriend, and dying to see my friends, I couldn’t imagine being gone for this weekend. The goodbye that will be said at the memorial service this weekend I am hopeful will help with the closure everyone in the family needs from a sudden death.

I thought I would have tons to process by today, and that by now I would be full of words of wisdom from all the thinking I’ve done. Instead, I’m baffled by how fast life is over. One can work so hard, providing for a family, striving to be the best in a profession, making money, and within seconds one organ stops working and the rest shut down. Just like that, “life” is done. All that you worked for is useless in one perspective. They say live life to the fullest because you never know when it’s done, and that is so true, but what could make a life full of worth if you disappear unexpectedly? Is it the amount of people you blessed with love? Is it the amount of money you made? Did you sacrifice enough? Did you heal enough? How does one measure the worth of a life?

I thought I would have more to say, that I would have processed more by today but in reality my sadness for my family members has just increased. My heart breaks more every day for my grandpa and the loss he has suffered in the past few months. The heartbreak of a parent losing a child is an occurrence I will never have words to describe. Eventually I’m sure I will have wisdom from all of this mess of pain, but for now, I am solely thankful for the presence of family members—maybe that’s my wisdom.